Signs of Improper Attic Ventilation
Many homes are improperly vented even when some form of ventilation is previously installed. Having an attic with poor ventilation can cause a whole lot of problems in your house. On the contrary, having good attic ventilation installed can resolve a lot of issues. For comfortable living, proper attic ventilation is a must.
Few signs of improper attic ventilation
One of the most common problems that homeowners encounter is a house that is too hot during the summer. Or a house that is too cold in winter. Read about the common signs of improper attic ventilation:
- Damp Insulation
- Dark streaks on roof boards around nails
- Moisture on the roof boards and rafters
- Crumbling, curled roof shingles
- Sweating Wood
- Unnaturally dark or discoloring decking
- Rust spots in your attic insulation
- Mold in your attic
- Uneven melting of snow
- Peeling and blistering paint
- Excessive heat inside the house
Adequate roof ventilation helps pull fresh air into the attic and pushes heat and moisture out. If done correctly, roof ventilation helps reduce the risk of serious problems. It can also extend the life of your roofing system.
On the other hand, improper roof ventilation can cause havoc to your home interior. Uncontrolled hot air in the attic can penetrate the home’s living space, thus warming the area below. This causes the increased demands on air conditioners and increased utility costs.
Always keep in mind that a proper ventilation system requires intake vents as well as an exhaust vent, perfectly in equal proportion. While insulating your attic, be sure not to cover any vents. Attic insulation is a good idea for cutting energy costs and being more comfortable in your home.
Problems caused by Inadequate Roof Ventilation
Inadequate Roof ventilation can give rise to these serious problems. If overlooked they can create a huge problem in your house and also increase your expenditure. Therefore, homeowners are advised not to ignore any kind of attic ventilation problems for long. Here is a list of problems caused by inadequate roof ventilation:
- Short Roof Life: Excess heat and moisture cause roof decking to dry and rot. This shortens the life of shingles and underlayment.
- Excessive heat: In the warm summer months, poor attic or roof ventilation means more electric bill. Due to poor ventilation, there is no way for the heat to pass from the house. The heat is actually created by the sun beating on the top of your roof. For the heat that tries to escape from inside your house fails to escape. Instead, it pushes downwards into the living space. And you know the consequences!
- More Air Conditioner: If your rooms are hot, surely you are going to turn on the air conditioner. An A/C in a house with improper attic ventilation must work overtime to keep you cool. The continuous running of air conditioner can reduce the life of it, and give rise to health problems.
- Mold: A humid environment is an ideal place for mold or mildew. Mold can damage the items kept in the attic and can cause respiratory problems for the residents.
- Ice dams: An ice dam is basically a ridge of ice that forms along a roof’s edge. It prevents snowmelt from draining off the roof. The snow is melted by trapped warm air that rises to the roof deck. Once a dam forms, water backs up behind it and can leak into your home.
Consider a Professional Roof Inspection
Integrity Roofers evaluates your attic problems and recommends the most cost-effective and long-lasting solution for your home. Knock us the moment you notice any signs of improper attic ventilation at your home. Book a free estimate to know more about your roofing problems, we will get back to you within 24 hours.